Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Cycling to work in UAE


It's been a while since the last time I posted anything so here's a review on how it's like to cycle to work in UAE.

I live in Sharjah and work in Dubai, taking the bus would cost me 10 dirhams on fare ticket (120+ Php) and if I do that everyday going to work and coming home, it would cost me a 100 dirhams which for frugal person like myself is very costly.

That's why I decided to cycle to work since I'm already an experienced cyclist here in UAE and tend to know how fairly tolerant the people are and authorities when it comes to people who cycles. If you are planning to do this as well, make sure that your gear is complete, lights, helmet, high visual vest, and jersey if possible, because if you are profiled as a delivery guy then it's very likely that your bicycle will get confiscated and never to be seen again.

Going back to cycling to work, on this video you will see that I've cycled on the main road connecting Sharjah and Dubai and from there took a train and bus to get to our office, I would've cycled all the way but the rest of the road are not bicycle friendly anymore. After shift, I'll just back track what I did at night and head back home.




A quick round-up on what's what when cycling to work:
  • complete gear for your safety and to avoid bicycle confiscation
  • only small folding bicycles are allowed in trains and buses, confirmed this with RTA customer support and was told that what's important is that it's secured and will not cause harm to anyone
  • drivers are tolerant to cyclist, they wouldn't honk at you for no reason unlike in the Philippines
  • always follow traffic rules
  • bring a patch kit whenever possible since there are "vulcanizing" shops here, if your tire got flat, either you fix it then and there or take a cab to get where you need to be
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or PM me.

1 comment:


  1. outstanding blog that you write about cakes and sweets .. i am very much happy to see that good words are added the wording that you choose is very much good and outstanding , i liked very much for your communication , #Cakes in Dubai.. also one of the best and good point of sweets and cakes ,
    cheapness are the reason being that of this country and other areas people most prefer to sell their items

    ReplyDelete